Twitter

Months ago I made a plan to try out different technologies and report my findings. I have been trying Twitter for a little while now and to be honest it’s been a mixed bag.

I have decided to report on this experience by listing the positives and the negatives, rather than write an essay.

The positives

• Occasionally there will be Tweets from people you don’t hear from often, it’s good to find out what they are up to
  • Certain people report interesting findings on the Internet. Lyndi does this, and it’s great to share the knowledge.
  • Sometimes you hear “breaking news” via a tweet, especially if it’s in a niche sector
  • If someone has a particularly interesting day (or job) it’s good to feel involved in what they are doing

The negatives

• I really don’t need to know “Phil is eating toast”, really!!!
  • Some people seem to have a Twitter addiction. Every 5 minutes they are Tweeting something… too much!
  • I’m not sure if people feel offended if you don’t like their Tweets and delete them from the friends list?

Conclusion

I think I like Twitter. The positives certainly outweigh the negatives for me. I do think I will have to delete the people that wish to tell me they are eating breakfast, drinking tea or picking their nose! Whether they feel offended, we’ll see!

What is your experience of Twitter? Do you love it or do you hate it?

1. Rarst
    Rarst says:

There are too many people on Twitter that are obsessed with Twitter and playing getting followers. As long as they are methodically unfollowed – rest of experience is pretty good for me. 🙂

@Rarst: It has been made worse over here in the UK by celebs on the radio and TV making a song and dance about Twitter and using it to increase their publicity. Most of them obviously have their staff “Tweeting” on their behalf, but coz the Twitter-kids think they are speaking directly to the celebs it just gets worse!

• Jim

@Xobman: Never tried Twirl, but have got rid of some of the worst offenders and it’s much better now. Might give it a go if it starts to get “busier” on Twitter

3. David
    David says:

I signed up to Twitter after hearing that it’s the new “big thing” and really couldn’t see what all the fuss was about.

I didn’t spend long enough on there to find anyone with something interesting to say as that might have changed my opinion but for me, I could only see it as a place for useless updates ( is going to bed now after a tiring day doing the housework).. Wow, really? How interesting!

For me, I stopped “twitting” after just 48 hours and have no desire to return.

4. Rarst
    Rarst says:

@David

If you only saw useless updates then you only looked at useless people. Twitter is flexible, you get whatever you search and whomever you follow.

5. David
    David says:

Yea, that makes sense. However, I’m far too busy and have more interesting things to be getting on with than reading what other people are doing. Maybe I’ll look into it when I have more time. 🙂

@David: I did the same the first time around and got fed up with hearing nonsense. Now I have cut out those people and are left with people I like to hear from it’s actually pretty good. It helps to have a good Twitter client too, I am using Twitterfox and it’s much better than what I have used before.

@Rarst: Spot on, quality not quantity in this case.. I don’t know how people cope when they get a few hundred people on their “following” list!